Thursday, December 31, 2009

APA Committee on the Status of Women

I greatly enjoyed the fantastic session organized by the American Philosophical Association's Committee on the Status of Women on journals held at the Eastern Division meeting. The proceedings of the session will be published and I will note the link when they are. As expected, Sally Haslanger's survey produced some highly interesting results: the results will be released soon (I understand on the SWIP website) and, again, I'll note the link when it is up.

One further item that arose in this session (and the relaunch of the Association of Philosophy Journal Editors session) was that reviewers of journal submissions too often receive little, if any, good advice on reviewing papers. I have been genuinely gobsmacked by how well received my paper on publishing advice (found in the right hand column, upper right, on this blog) has been received. I am now committed to drawing up a new paper on advice on reviewing papers that I will post on this blog probably in the next month or two.

My thanks again to the committee for kindly inviting me to take part in this session. I learned much and I look forward to future discussions.

No comments: