Monday, April 12, 2010

Academic journals and 2010

Recently, Chris Bertram noted that the excellent journal Imprints has now ceased (see here on Crooked Timber). I have now just received a message stating that Philosophia Africana is also to stop publishing this year on Philos-l.

Are there other academic journals in danger?

Often I will be asked how easy it is to start a journal, as I had started the Journal of Moral Philosophy. My answer has always been that it's quite difficult because it is an increasingly difficult market. In addition, I suspect many non-editors underestimate the amount of time editing a journal can take --- especially for the more successful journals.

I would be interested to know whether there is a potential crisis looming or whether these are two isolated (and very sad to hear) cases.

No comments: