Saturday, April 10, 2010

Vote for me and I'll give you some cash

The Tories are in the news for wanting to introduce a "marriage tax break" that would amount to four million married couples or civil partnerships receiving an extra £150 per year (according to the BBC here).

Whatever the relative merits of the policy, I have always been uncomfortable with the idea of offering the public tax money in this way as I have written about in the past here. I've always thought it the wrong way in order to win votes.

In any event, if the Tories should win, I'd be interested to find those couples that stuck together solely in order to collect this tax break. If no such couples can be found, then it is a strange tax break to introduce at a time where the government will need to balance its books . . .

No comments: