Monday, February 28, 2011

Nick Clegg, Deputy Prime Minister or "Yeah, I suppose I am. I forgot about that"

"Yeah, I suppose I am. I forgot about that." Words we may never forget from Nick Clegg, the Deputy Prime Minister. They came up in an interview when he was being asked about being temporarily in charge of the government while the Prime Minister was overseas in the UK. Of course, this has not helped improve his popularity amongst his critics. Furthermore, we have the news that he decided to take a holiday -- if but brief -- while the Prime Minister was abroad on business and the Libya crisis erupted. Details here.

The British coalition government claim it will be business unusual with them, changing the way that politics is conducted. They're correct. I can't recall seeing such a dysfunctional government like this before, certainly not in many years. Or you might say, "yeah, I forgot about that."

2 comments:

The Snarkery said...

Personally, I interpreted Clegg's comment as sarcasm, given the media circus around Cameron's paternity leave last year.

The Brooks Blog said...

Do you still think this in light of his taking a holiday abroad while the Prime Minister was abroad on business? Certainly a public relations problem that could have timed and planned much better...