Monday, July 09, 2012

Academic journal best practice

Readers will know my longstanding interest in developing best practice for academic journals through my work in relaunching the Association of Philosophy Journal Editors with Carol Gould and forthcoming essay on editing advice.

I am particularly delighted by the newly published "Best Practices in Journal Publishing" in the current Proceedings of the American Philosophical Association found here. These guidelines of academic journals in philosophy are the product of a special subcommittee on journal practices consisting of Thomas Baldwin, Thom Brooks, Stewart Cohen, Matti Eklund, Susan Feagin, Leslie Francis, Carol Gould, Sally Haslanger, Katherine Hawley, Hilary Kornblith, Peter Markie, Henry Richardson, Ernest Sosa, John Symons, and Robert Talisse. I'm proud of our report and believe that it helps flesh out important standards all journals should attempt to uphold.

Comments welcome!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a question about publishing practices that you might be able to respond. Here's the sequence of events. First, I send a paper to a conference which explicitly stipulates that by sending the paper I allow publication in conference proceedings. Second, I submit a longer version (5000 words longer) to a Journal, which gives me a revise and resubmit. Third, I kindly ask the organizers at the conference that they do not publish my paper at the proceedings, so that I avoid any potential conflict with the Journal. However, they refuse to do so and inform me that they will proceed with publication. Will this exclude the possibility of publishing in the Journal? How different should the paper be? Is there any legal action I could take against conference organizers? Thanks four help.

The Brooks Blog said...

Many thanks for your message. This is a difficult situation. I would devote my attention to the journal article. If the journal article appears first (the ideal case), then you might note in an acknowledge on the first page of the proceedings paper that it is a revised version of the longer, more substantive paper appearing in the journal. I'd ensure phrasing, etc differs throughout. The less ideal case is where the proceedings appear first: you might then note in an acknowledgement on page one that the paper is a revised and expanded version of the conference paper.

I would contact the relevant publishers to ensure that copyright issues are handled satisfactorily.