Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Denis Kilcommons on the UK citizenship test and me

. . . can be found HERE (from the Huddersfield Examiner). An excerpt:

"I HAVE just failed the British citizenship test. Does this mean I will be deported to my last foreign port of call? I hope not. I don’t want to be an American.

Neither did Dr Thom Brooks of Durham University. The American-born academic decided to become British two years ago and, as part of his application, had to take the Life In The United Kingdom test

This test doesn’t deal in anything like what ordinary folk round the bar or at the church fete might consider general knowledge. It has been called impractical and irrelevant and there have been calls for it to be reformed.

Dr Brooks describes it as a bad pub quiz that is unfit for purpose.

“Many citizens that were born and bred in the UK would struggle to know the answers to many of these questions.”

And he’s right. [. . .]"

No comments: