Thursday, April 10, 2014

What is the most important topic political scientists are not studying?

A recent piece in Perspectives on Politics by Professor Debra Javeline (found here) claims the answer is "adapting to climate change"(?). While I'm delighted to be noted as one of the good (or just better?) academics in the field, it is a pity she overlooked my other work in this area which does engage with the adaptation literature. Still, a thought-provoking piece even if I take issue with some of its claims.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Whether most of it counts as being done by "political scientists" or not, I can't really say, but there's a growing literature on climate change and refugees, by legal scholars, philosophers, climate scientists, and others. Some of this can be found in the bibliography to my own contribution to the literature, found here:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2402033

But I should especially note the excellent book by Jane McAdam, _Climate Change, Forced Migration, and International Law_. Anyone interested in migration related to climate change should read McAdam's book.