Friday, August 29, 2014

Progress strategy board elections

I'm running for a place on the strategy board of Progress, a New Labour pressure group which aims to promote a radical and progressive politics for the 21st century founded in 1996.

My statement is:

I’m standing for election because I believe that I can promote Progress effectively to the Labour Party and wider electorate with new ideas. I am a proud member of both and believe that a strong Progress can strengthen Labour. I am an effective, award winning media commentator with frequent television, radio and newspaper interviews well placed to defend our message and make the case for Labour in the next general election.

I lecture at Durham University’s Law School and recently promoted to Professor of Law and Government. I teach advocacy and public policy with special interests in criminal justice and immigration policy. My research develops a new model for better incorporating the voices of victims in the criminal justice system through greater support for restorative justice. My work features in an award winning book, Punishment, and the spring issue of Demos Quarterly, a new online journal from Demos. These ideas have also caught the attention of the Labour Party and I am quoted in the Labour Party’s ‘Stronger, Safer Communities’ policy consultation on Your Britain. I am also known for my work on immigration. I’m originally from the US earning UK citizenship two years ago and made international headlines exposing serious flaws in the ‘Life in the UK’ test in my report--the most authoritative available--covered by over 300 news outlets.

I’d be honoured to join the Strategy Board and ensure our voices are heard within Labour and win over voters to win the next election.

Learn more about the candidates from the Progress Online website.

No comments: