Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Hegel Bulletin - Is Hegel a Retributivist?

Hegel Bulletin - Is Hegel a Retributivist?

The above is a link to my article first published in the Bulletin of the Hegel Society of Great Britain in 2004, but only now available online through Cambridge University Press (thanks to CUP agreeing to publish a revamped Hegel Bulletin). This piece was a runner-up for a graduate essay prize.

The article marked an important turning point for me. It is my first substantial examination of Hegel's theory of punishment where I begin to make clear that he could not have been a retributivist. I did not yet argue for his having a unified theory of punishment and so my view of his theory has sharpened although I would continue to defend more than 10 years later the arguments of this piece. Perhaps the biggest finding is that - with the possible exception of Peter Nicholson - just about every scholar writing on Hegel's theory of punishment is shown to have made significant errors in how he conceives his project and how punishment fits into his systematic understanding of philosophy.

No comments: