Calais Jungle closure continues: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35693882
- French authorities have been slow to act in closing the Jungle because they expected the scenes we see today.
- Calais migrants don’t want to stay in the Jungle – nor do they want to remain in France.
- Many seem to fear that choosing to have their asylum claims heard in France will mean that they won’t be able to get to Britain.
- But there is no right for migrants to claim asylum in any country of their choosing – if in France, the claims should be heard in France.
- Gaining asylum and settlement in France would allow migrants to head to Britain in future – and lawfully.
- But migrants wanting asylum claims heard in Britain seem unaware about 60% rejected – so coming to the UK might not have the result many expect.